We have all seen enough celebrity relationships and marriages where the couple were madly in love one day and then broken up the next to understand that a relationship that is open to public scrutiny and is constantly being watched and talked about is less likely to work than a “normal” relationship. But unless your man is a celebrity, if he asks you to keep your love relationship with him a secret, that is a very big red flag. The following are the reasons that men tend to want to keep their relationships secret:
1. He is Married – Men cheat and sadly, married men are no exception. If your man is asking you to keep the relationship a secret and seems more comfortable calling you than you calling him and loves coming over to your house but always has an excuse about why you can’t come to his house, there is a good chance he is married and you’re his mistress, or at east one of them.
2. He is in a relationship – Much like the married guy, a guy who is in a relationship and is still exploring his options will also likely tell you to keep the relationship a secret so his other woman is less likely to find out about you. Just remember, if he is in a relationship and has started one with you, even if he leaves the other woman, a few months later he may leave you for the nest option.
3. He is a serial monogamist – A man who does not plan on sticking around for too long will generally keep you a secret. Why bother taking you to meet his friends and family if he doesn’t plan on keep you around?
4. He is just not that into you – Unfortunately, some men will get into relationships just for a steady supply of $ex and not much more. If you’re in it for the same reason then that may work for the both of you, but if you want a meaningful and long lasting relationship, this will be a problem.
5. He doesn’t trust you or himself – Some men may want to get into a serious relationship but they are deathly afraid of getting hurt or abandoned and they need to feel you out before they can publicly declare their love for you. Some men just don’t trust themselves to be good relationship partners and they believe that they will eventually screw up and you’ll leave so they would rather keep it quiet until it inevitably ends.
If a man really cares about you and wants to build a life with you he will let you into his inner circle and will have no problem being seen in public with you. If you’re not sure about your relationship with your man, have an honest conversation with him and if is consistently evasive, then you have your answers.