If you are not a morning person, caffeine may be your best friend. You may want to ditch the caffeine however and go with something a little more body-friendly to wake you up. Here are five reasons why your caffeine should go:
1. When you drink caffeine you are elevating your cortisol levels. Cortisol is the stress hormone that causes you to crave junk food all day long. When you wake up in the morning with all the intention in the world of eating healthy for the day but then have a cup of coffee, healthy food tends to go right out the window. When the cortisol goes up so does the amount of fat that is stored in your body, especially in the abdominal area.
2. There is nothing nutritional about caffeine. There are no vitamins or minerals included. It doesn’t do anything remotely healthy for your body. It I also very addictive. You may notice that if you stop having caffeine you will most likely get headaches. It is best to wean yourself off of caffeine if it is something that you drink regularly.
3. Your blood sugar levels drop when you drink caffeine. You may end up overeating in order to get your levels back up so that you can feel energized again.
4. Caffeine can cause a host of other problems. You can get headaches, nausea, stress, and fatigue when you ingest too much.
5. One of the biggest problems with caffeine is that it can end up causing insulin resistance. When this happens your blood sugar spikes and can end up leading to obesity, diabetes, as well as damage to your arteries.