There are over 70% of the population right now that have a ticking time bomb in their body and they probably don’t even realize it. There are 80 million Americans right now that have prediabetes which can lead to type 2 diabetes if left untreated. The problem is that over 90% of those who have prediabetes do not know that they have it.
A simple blood test at the doctor’s office can tell you if you are at risk for developing diabetes. It is hard to tell if you have prediabetes or not as there are very few symptoms that you would be able to recognize so it is often left unnoticed until blood tests are done during annual physicals. Once you do find out that you are at risk there are steps that you can take to prevent it from going any further. Here are seven actions that you can take to prevent type 2 diabetes.
1. Move: You need to get exercise. This will help to regulate blood sugar.
2. Drop weight: The heavier you are the more likely you are to develop diabetes.
3. Doctor: Go to see your doctor every three to six months for encouragement and screenings.
4. Eat healthier: Load yourself up with fruits and veggies.
5. Support: Get support from family and friends as you work towards reducing your risk. You can also get support from a weight loss group if you are working on losing pounds.
6. Sleep: Get more sleep at night. This helps to regulate your blood sugar as well and will help you to become generally healthier.
7. Commit: You need to be able to commit to being healthier. Think about how great you will feel and how you will not need as much medical care if you prevent diabetes.