Have you noticed that your partner has been acting differently lately? Is he not as warm and kind as he used to be or more distant than he was before? Take a look at how he was when you were first dating, and look at how he is acting now. This sudden change in attitude or behavior could be signaling the death of your relationship. Here are some red flags to watch out for:
1. He calls you fat: Even if he says it ‘jokingly’ it is still hurtful. How you take care of your body is your decision, not his.
2. He ignores you: If he is refusing to talk, constantly distracted, or tunes you out, this could mean that it is almost over. He is checking out and you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to get him to listen to you.
3. He says one thing but then goes and does another: If he nods and says “yes dear” but then goes off and does the complete opposite, watch out.
4. He yells at you when he is drunk: Everyone loses their cool now and then, especially when drinking. But if he does it all the time and blames it on the booze, there could be an underlying issue that he isn’t telling you about.
5. He forbids you to talk to family and friends: This is a huge red flag. No one can tell you whom you can and cannot speak with. This could indicate a control issue, or even a jealousy issue. If he seems truly concerned about something, listen and consider his advice but he does not get to “forbid” you from contact with friends and family.
6. He sleeps around when he’s drunk: He will blame it on the alcohol. Cheating is cheating, no matter how drunk he was.
7. He lies all the time: Lying and breaking promises creates a hostile environment where trust is broken.
8. He puts you down: If he is being disrespectful take a step back and think about his words before reacting. Is he really saying it to be mean or are you reading deeper into his comment than you should.
9. He is abusive: Abuse comes in several forms; verbal, emotional and physical, among others. No kind of abuse is ever okay and that is a major red flag that the relationship is on shaky ground.
10. He doesn’t want to commit: This could mean he is either afraid of commitment or just doesn’t want to commit to you. Think about what you want for the future and if he doesn’t want the same, it may be time to split.