Ever since nutrition labels have been put on food that is on the shelves, people seem to think that they know how to read the labels and even though they don’t understand what half of the ingredients are, they are okay because they know what the other half are. However, there are seven ingredients that should be left on the shelves in the store.
1. Aspartame: This is a chemical sweetener that has been shown in studies to alter brain function, give headaches and menstrual problems. It has been shown to be harmful to a fetus in-utero as well .
2. BHT and BHA: These two chemicals prevent foods with oils from going bad. They are known carcinogens. They have been found to cause cancer in lab rats, hamsters, and mice. BHT and BHA should be avoided at all costs.
3. Food coloring: Food coloring is used to make foods look more appealing. Unfortunately the process of making the coloring includes the use of known carcinogens and industrial solvent. Red dye no.3 has been linked to brain tumors. Red Dye 40 and Yellow 6 have been linked to aggressive behavior in children.
4. Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein: This is a substance that is similar to MSG. It is chemically treated and is used to enhance the flavor in foods. It can cause migraines and heart irregularities.
5. Parabens: These are usually found in cosmetics and beauty products. It is a chemical preservative. Parabens are found in baked goods like cakes and pies and also in some processed meats. It is used to inhibit mold growth and can cause hormonal problems in women.
6. Partially Hydrogenated Oil: This is basically the same thing as trans fat. It makes your food last a little longer, but it can also clog your arteries, lowers good cholesterol and raises bad cholesterol.
7. Nitrites: Used to help meat from spoiling, nitrites can trigger allergic reactions and cause headaches. Studies have also shown that they can cause cancerous tumors.