Sometimes we may feel like there is not enough time in the day to do any exercise, which can lead to unhealthy choices and bad habits. Here are some tips to help you to get up and move around more through the day, much like the First Lady, Michelle Obama encourages our youth to do.
These suggested ways to move a little more don’t take much time and will still help you to get up and go.
1. Wake up just a few minutes earlier and do a short 10 minute workout routine in the morning. It can be some Zumba, aerobics, or a quick walk.
2. Park a little farther away when you are going somewhere. When you go to work park at the end of the parking lot so that you have to walk more to get there and back. When you go to the store, park farther away than you normally would.
3. Instead of grabbing a seat on the train or subway, stand. It will help you to tense your muscles as you keep your balance. It also keeps your blood sugar levels and cholesterol in check.
4. When you go on your lunch break, take a little walk. Getting some fresh air can help you not only to burn calories but to be more energized when you come back from your break as well.
5. Meet up with friends at a group exercise class instead of a bar after work. You will be saving yourself some empty calories and will be having fun at the same time.
6. Do a quick five minute workout when you wake up that includes:
a. 30 seconds of pushups
b. 1 minute of jumping jacks
c. 1 minute downward dog to plank yoga position
d. 1 minute jumping jacks
e. 30 seconds of pushups
f. 1 minute of alternating lunges
7. Take a walk with your morning coffee.
8. Use a smaller cup or bottle at work so that you have to get up more often to go get water.
9. Take a nice walk around the block after you have finished dinner.
10. Do some stretches before bed to calm you down and relax yourself so that you can fall asleep easier.