Friendship is one of the most important things that we can have in our lives. Friends are there to talk to when we are stressed out, to relax with when we need to get away, and are a shoulder to cry on when we are sad. There are some so called friends who take all of your energy when you visit with them and some who boost you up every time you see them. There are some things that you should know about friendship in order to maintain healthy relationships.
1. Know who your true friends are. There are some that will be there for you no matter what and will stick around when times get tough. Others are fair-weather friends who are only around when they want something or when it’s convenient for them.
2. Don’t try to run your friend’s life or fix their problems. You can help them and give them advice along the way, but don’t interfere to the point where you are taking trying to control their lives. Don’t pass judgment on their family or spouse as it can turn into a bad situation.
3. Watch out for narcissistic friends. Do they always try to steal your thunder? When you have good news do they always seem to have better news? Do they constantly redirect the conversations to themselves? It is hard to have a mutual friendship tht has depth with someone who only thinks about themselves and doesn’t take the time to listen to others.
4. Know when to walk away from a friend that just isn’t being a good friend or isn’t willing to work on a problem that you may have. It is better to walk away early then spend years hoping they fix something they don’t want to fix.
5. Don’t be afraid to be vulnerable. Opening yourself up and sharing some of your innermost thoughts with a close friend is what it’s all about, but you have to be willing to do it. It is part of the intimacy that comes with being a close friend.