Tia and Tamara Mowry are best known for their role in the hit show Sister Sister. Now that they are grown and have families of their own they have focused on important issues about health, family and community. Tia shared her five favorite foods to eat after a great workout:
1. Hummus and veggies: Hummus is filled with protein, complex carbs, and unsaturated fats. It is a very healthy post-workout option as it is very filling and the protein will help your muscles to heal after exercise. The carbs will help to replace the glycogen that you have lost as well.
2. Black beans: Beans are very high in fiber and protein. They will help to fill you up after exercise so that you don’t sit around and snack which negates all of your hard calorie-burning work. Wrap them in lettuce for a delicious and filling snack.
3. Trail mix: Chew this snack slowly so that you don’t overdo it. Nuts and seeds are high in fats so you don’t want to eat too much, however they also have protein to help fill you up. Trail mix with dried fruits is best as they have healthy sugars to give you a post-workout boost.
4. Oranges: This sweet treat is a great snack. It is filled with vitamin C which is known to help repair muscle tissue. It also produces collagen which helps to keep your bones nice and strong.
5. Power smoothie: What could be better than a nice cold smoothie after a sweaty workout? Throw some berries, bananas, coconut, and leafy greens in for a super smoothie that is full of fiber, protein, potassium and vitamins to help your body resist the urge to snack after a hard day at the gym.