By: Serena Crawford
Staying fit can seem like a chore sometimes. It would be great to have enough time during the day to get all of the exercise you want in and to be able to cook healthy meals for every meal. The reality is that most of us just don’t have the time to hit the gym or go for a nice leisurely walk. There are some ways that you can stay fit even if you are really busy:
1. Sleep – Sleep is one of the most important parts to being healthy. The more restful night’s sleep you get the better you will feel. Your body will have a chance to recharge itself and get ready for the day ahead.
2. Planning – Take some time on Sunday to prepare meals for the coming week. A great idea is to put ingredients together in gallon zip bags and then freeze them or put them in the fridge. Then in the morning you can dump them into a slow cooker and have a meal ready to go with very little effort! Make sure that you have snacks lined up for the week too so that you aren’t caught hungry and looking around for whatever is lying around the house.
3. Reading – Look at articles about health and fitness. This will help you get into the mindset that you want to be fit and can give you some great new workout tips or recipes.
4. Breaks – Every day take a 5 minute break. Go outside or to a quiet place and just take some deep breaths. We all need to clear our minds once in a while and this is a great way to get rid of some stress.
5. No Regrets – We all have setbacks. Even people who are on the strictest of diets slip every now and then and eat pizza or fried foods. You can’t beat yourself up over it if you happen to slip once in a while. Enjoy the moment and then take a moment to think about what lead to the slip and what you could do differently the next time that you feel that craving taking over. Don’t regret your decisions; look at them as learning experiences.
6. Water – Drinking water is something that not enough of us do. When you wake up one of the first things that you should do is chug a glass of ice cold water. This will boost your metabolism for the day and will help you to wake up and focus on the day ahead. Keep a bottle of water next to you at all times throughout the day and you are more likely to stay away from soda or other drinks filled with sugar.
7. Exercise – In theory it would be great if we could get to the gym every day. However many do not have the ability to do so. Instead, go to the gym when you can and make modifications to your daily routine so you are getting more exercise in. Park far away from the store so that you have to walk farther. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. Walk around the store a couple of times so that you get more steps in. All of these little things add up quickly.
8. Snacking – Make sure that you always have a healthy snack with you before you leave the house. Plans can run long and you may be stuck with no food and make a choice to eat somewhere like a fast food restaurant. If you have a healthy snack with you there is no need to worry about finding food.