Marriage is requires work to keep it health and happy. It takes a lot of compromise and negotiation to keep a marriage together. Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall shared 10 tips to help keep a marriage going for fifty years or more at mindbodygreen.com. They are as follows:
1. Face things together. Most couples spend so much time on themselves that they forget about the people in the world around them which is not good for personal relationships.
2. Don’t think that if you marry a man you can NOT change him later. Even if you do manage to change him after you tie the knot you may be wishing for the old personality back.
3. Don’t turn mountains into molehills. Don’t turn the little things into big arguments because ultimately, it will not matter in the long run.
4. If you think you have made a mistake, don’t freak out. You are finally settling in to the idea of being married and being with your partner for life.
5. When you end up having children, make sure you have help from family and friends. You need your alone time as much as couples who do not have children.
6. Talk with your friends and maybe even vent your frustrations and challenges to them so that you don’t take it all out on your partner when they get home.
7. Don’t cheat, no matter what urges you may come across. “Even in the happiest marriages, an urge for extramarital adventure may occur. If you make it past the seven-year itch, it may hit at 14 or even 21 years. If tempted to stray, recognize the urge for what it is: a temporary itch, not to be scratched. If your partner strays, treat it as human frailty. It has nothing to do with your rock-solid marriage.”
8. Try to remember that as you retire, you will begin to spend much more time together and may need some space once in a while. Keep things new and interesting or take some time for yourselves apart from your spouse.
9. Be polite. Manners can make a huge difference even if you don’t think they are that important.
10. Laugh together. Laughter is the best medicine. It is a way to relieve tension and stress and can also help you have fun with your partner.